In Windows 10, by default the pdf viewer is Microsoft Edge and if you want to change it, then you need to make your own default application. In this tutorial, we will guide you how to make your desired app as default app. Just follow this article and you are good to go.
What is Microsoft Edge?
Technically Microsoft edge is an update to the well known Internet Explorer browser. It now comes preinstalled with Windows 10, and is completely integrated into the entire platform. With the update came a lot of new features, including its very own PDF viewer. In fact, unless you take steps to change it, Microsoft Edge will be the default option for opening up PDF files even if you already have Adobe Acrobat installed on your computer.
If you are a dedicated fan of Adobe Acrobat for PDFs (or you just hate change, like me), then you’ll want to switch the default PDF viewer to one of your choice. Otherwise all your PDFs will open up with Microsoft Edge.
If you are lazy, you could simply right-click and then select the option to “open with” your desired PDF viewer every time you want to open up a file, but that takes time and inevitably, you forget that you need to do it.
It’s better just to adjust your settings as described below.
Methods To Make Your Desired App As Default App
Follow the below steps carefully:
Step 1: Go To Settings
1. Simply press the windows Key.
2. In search bar, type “Default Programs” and press enter.
3. Then, you will see “Default App settings”. Click on it.
4. In Default app window, locate the option “Choose default app by file type” and click on it.
5. search for the .pdf file and you will see the Microsoft Edge there, then simply click on it.
6. A new pop-up menu will open from which you should select the desired app as your default app like “Adobe Acrobar Reader” for pdf file.
Not too difficult, was it? Did this tutorial help you switch your default PDF viewer? Let us know in the comment section if you are facing any other problems related to this post.
Muhammad Tayyab is a long time contributor at Geekspie.com. Muhammad has years of experience writing about tech, including tutorials to resolve common problems users experience with Windows and Mac computers, iOS and and android devices, and software of all kinds. He can be reached through the contact us form.