The compressed memory feature is a Windows 10 feature that makes less use of Ram and disk space in order to provide smooth performance. If this function does not work properly, you will experience 100% disk usage that will slow down your PC.
This could be caused by a user’s own mistake or through a virus or corrupted system files.
Methods to Fix 100% Disk Usage by System and Compressed Memory in Windows 7/8/10
There are few fixes and workarounds to solve this 100% disk usage by system problem. Try out one by one and let us know which one work in your case.
Paging File Size
- Go to start menu and type run.
- Open run and type sysdm.cpl and proceed.
- This will bring the System Properties window.
- Go to the advanced tab and then go to settings under the performance tab.
- Once again select the advanced tab and under the Virtual Memory tab, click on ‘change’.
- On the top of this window, you will see ‘automatically manage paging file for all drives’.
- Enable this option and restart your PC.
Disabling Fast Startup
Fast Startup is a windows feature that loads the windows faster.
- You can disable it by going to the Control Panel.
- Select Power options.
- On the left side of this window, select the ‘choose what the power buttons do’ option.
- On the top of this window, select the ‘change settings that are currently available’.
- Now Disable the ‘turn on fast startup’ option. Save the changes and reboot your PC.
CCleaner is the best software that gets rids of useless files lurking in the computer. You can download it for free.
- Once you have installed it, Make sure you have checked all the options in the CCLeaner window and also under the registry tab.
- Now run it. It will ask for backup.
- Proceed with making a backup for the registry files.
- Now run the process.
- Once the process is completed, reboot your computer.
Corrupt System Files
- Type ‘command prompt’ in the start menu.
- Run it as administrator.
- Then type sfc /scannow and hit enter.
- Once the process is finished, restart your PC.
Muhammad Talha is a long time contributor at Geekspie.com. Muhammad has years of experience writing about tech, including tutorials to resolve common problems users experience with Windows and Mac computers, iOS and and android devices, and software of all kinds. He can be reached through the contact us form.