The high CPU usage by anti-malware service is run by Windows Defender for its function. Windows defender keeps on checking for infected files in the background. This causes high CPU usage which you may have noticed.
Solve Antimalware Service Executable High Cpu Usage
Before proceeding, it is highly recommended that you create a system restore point.
Disabling Full System Scan Triggers
- Open start menu and type ‘run’.
- Now type taskschd.msc and proceed.
- This will open Task Scheduler window.
- Double click the Task Scheduler (local) window to expand it.
- Now open Task Scheduler Library, Microsoft and then Windows.
- Look for Windows Defender.
- Double click it to open its settings.
- Right click on the Windows Defender Scheduled scan option to open its properties.
- Under the General tab, make sure to disable the Run with highest privileges option.
- Now go to the Conditions tab and disable all the options there.
- Restart your computer for the changes to take effect.
Disabling Windows Defender
- Open start menu and type ‘run’. type ‘regedit’ and press enter.
- Then proceed in the following way, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender.
- On the right side of this window, you will see DisableAntiSpyware.
- Double click it and type 1 as its value. If you dont see any key, you can create one.
- In the empty space of this window, right-click and then choose DWORD(32-bit) Value.
- Give it the name ‘DisableAntiSpyware’ and then double-click it and write 1 as its value.
- You must reboot your PC after this.
CCleaner is a free software that gets rid of unwanted system files in a safe way.
- Once you have downloaded and installed it, run it and let the process complete.
- Make sure that you have checked all the options in the registry tab of CCleaner.
- If CCleaner asks for making a backup to the registry changes, confirm it and then run CCleaner.
Muhammad Talha is a long time contributor at Geekspie.com. Muhammad has years of experience writing about tech, including tutorials to resolve common problems users experience with Windows and Mac computers, iOS and and android devices, and software of all kinds. He can be reached through the contact us form.