Windows 10 is famous for its updates, as Microsoft manage to update windows 10 time to time. The updates automatically get download and installed on windows 10 and also provide the history of updates, where you can see all the previous and recent updates downloaded and installed on your computer.
Some users have reported about the update problem that there computer is unable to download and install the updates and those updates remain pending. When they go to update history, they notice the pending updates and can’t able to download and install it. In this tutorial, we will make sure to fix resolve this issue for you through simple methods.
Method # 1: Troubleshoot Windows Update
Before proceeding for troubleshooting, first download and install Reimage plus software and then run. It will scan for corrupted files and will fix it. If Reimage Plus work, then good. Otherwise You need to troubleshoot windows update by running the built-in troubleshooter of windows 10. In order to do that, simply follow the steps below:
- Navigate to “control panel” on your windows.
- Click on the category and select the “large icons” from the menu.
- Locate the “Troubleshooting” and then click on it.
- You will see the “View all” option in the left pane, click on it.
- In the list, locate the “windows update” option and the click on it.
- When troubleshooting window open, then click on “next” to start the process.
- It will detect the problem and if found any, then follow the on-screen instruction to fix it.
After that, restart your computer and when your computer boots up again, then check to download and install the pending updates. If still find yourself in problem, then proceed to next method.
Method # 2: Check The Services Associated With Windows Update
One of the reason behind this problem is services that are associated windows update are not running , therefore you need to enable it. Follow the steps below:
- Open the run dialogue box by press windows+R key simultaneously and then type in “services.msc” and press enter.
- In services windows, locate the “windows update” option and then right click on it and select the “properties” option from the menu.
- When the properties window open, you will see the “Startup type” option, set it to “Automatic” and then click on the “start” and press “apply” to make the changes and then “Ok”.
- After that, you need to locate the option named “background intelligent transfer service” (BITS) and then simply right click on it and select the “properties” from the menu. Set the “startup type” to “automatic” and press “apply” and then “Ok”.
- Then search for the final option called “Cryptographic Service” and then right click on it and select the “properties”. Set the “startup type” to “automatic” and press “apply” and then “Ok”.
- At last, reboot your computer and when it boots up again, then check the problem is gone or not.
If the problem is still sticky, then proceed to next method.
Method # 3: Fixing the Issue Using Command Prompt
In this method, we will try to fix the issue by executing different types of commands using command prompt. Follow the below steps carefully:
- Run the “command prompt” as an administrator.
- After that, type the following commands one by one and press enter after each to execute it:
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver
3. After execution of all commands, restart your computer.
When you computer boots up again, then download and install the pending updates.
These are the methods which will help you to resolve the issue of windows 10 pending updates unable to install. Let us know in the comment section, if you have any question.