Windows is popular for its awesome updates. While updating windows 10, some users have reported the error called 0xc1900208 which states that there is a software installed on your computer that is preventing windows from updating.
In this tutorial, we will guide you through simple methods how to fix this error. Simply follow this article and you are good to go.
Methods To Fix Error 0xc1900208
Follow the below steps carefully:
Step 1: Remove The incompatible Software
1. Simultaneously press windows+E key to open windows explorer and then paste the address C:\Windows\Panther in the address bar and press enter to execute.
2. When you reach the Panther folder, then locate the Compat*.xml with the latest time stamp. Open it with text editor. I recommend you ti use “Media Creator” as it will tell you which app is preventing you.
3. When the file gets opened, you will find the name of that incompatible software.
4. After that, press windows+R key to open run dialogue box and then type the “appwiz.cpl” and press enter to open program and features.
5. In program and features, locate that incompatible software from the list and then click on it. After that, click on the “uninstall” button to remove that particular application from your computer.
6. At last, restart your computer and then update your windows and check whether the error is gone or still preventing your from update. If still the error occurs, then follow the below next method.
Step 2: Reset The Windows Update Components
1. Click on the windows icon in the taskbar to open start menu and type “cmd”. Right click on the command prompt and then choose “run as administrator”.
2. In the command prompt, type the following command to stop the service related to windows update:
net stop bits
net stop wuauserv
net stop appidsvc
net stop cryptsvc
3. After that, you need to rename “softwaredistribution folder backup copies”. To do this type in the following command:
ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.bak
ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.bak
4. Then again start the services related to windows update you have stopped before by typing the following commands:
net start bits
net start wuauserv
net start appidsvc
net start cryptsvc
5. At last, restart your computer and then update your windows, hope so, the error will not occur again.
Let us know in the comment section if you are facing problem related to this post.
Muhammad Tayyab is a long time contributor at Geekspie.com. Muhammad has years of experience writing about tech, including tutorials to resolve common problems users experience with Windows and Mac computers, iOS and and android devices, and software of all kinds. He can be reached through the contact us form.