Windows Defender is the built-in Anti-Virus offered by Windows 10 to its users which protects the computer from viruses and malware. Sometimes users experience problem like Windows Defender not working or automatically turning off. These 3 methods will help you fix such problems.
Windows Defender is a powerful anti-virus program that manage to monitor your computer in a reliable way and contain a lot of features which leads to computer protection. Microsoft updates Windows Defender time to time to provide real time protection to Windows 10 users.
Currently, the most common issues faced by Windows 10 users regarding Windows Defender are either it does not updates or is turned off automatically and then users are unable to turn the protection on again.
This tutorial will cover different methods to help you fix these annoying problems related to Windows Defender.
Method # 1: Uninstall The Third-party Anti-irus Program
If you have installed any third-party anti-virus program, and now want to revert back to using Windows Defender, then simply un-install the third party anti-virus program it to get back your Windows Defender ON. When you will uninstall the third party program, the Windows Defender will detect that there is no other antivirus program running in that computer and will turned ON automatically.
If the problem still persists, after uninstalling the third party antivirus program, then proceed to next method below.
Method # 2: Reboot Security Center Service
In order to that, follow the below steps:
- Open the run command by pressing windows+R key and then type “services.msc” and press enter to execute the command.
- Locate the “Security Center” option and then simply right click on it. Select the “Restart” option from the properties menu.
- When you are done, then check the windows defender.
If you are still stuck in the problem, then proceed to next method.
Method # 3: Running sfc /scannow OR Dism command Using Command Prompt:
- Simultaneously press windows+X Keys and then select the “command prompt (Admin)” from the menu,
- After that, type “sfc /scannow” in command prompt and press enter to execute the command.
- Wait for the scanning process to complete, it will detect the corrupted file and will repair it for your.
- If you still face the problem after running the sfc command, then type the dism command.
- Type the “dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth” and press enter.
- Wait for the scanning process to complete.
When the scanning process gets complete, then go ahead and check the windows defender is working or not.
Above are the methods, which you need to follow in order to fix the windows defender problem. If you have any question related to this guide, then let us know in the comment section.
Muhammad Tayyab is a long time contributor at Geekspie.com. Muhammad has years of experience writing about tech, including tutorials to resolve common problems users experience with Windows and Mac computers, iOS and and android devices, and software of all kinds. He can be reached through the contact us form.