Windows 10 is latest piece of innovation from software giant known as Microsoft. With improved user-interface, tons of new features, improvement in speed and security, Windows 10 has already received lot of positive reviews from Tech enthusiasts.
Bugs and Windows is a love story we hate to love, and with Windows 10, this story continues. After Windows 8, Windows 10 users also continues to occasionally face issue where they are unable to login to their account. The user sees one of these two error messages – The User Profile Service Failed The Sign-in or The User Profile Service failed the logon.
How to Fix “The User Profile Services Failed The Sign-in” in Windows 8/10
In this guide, we are going to show you how to easily fix t he user profile service failed the sign-in on Windows 8.1 or Windows 10.
Fix # 01: Run Start-up Repair from Windows DVD or USB
The first fix involves using the Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 DVD or USB and perform a start-up repair job to fix the user profile service failed the sign-in issue.
- If you don’t have a Windows DVD or USB, download the ISO from Microsoft website.
- Use Microsoft’s Media Creation tool to create a bootable DVD or USB.
- Boot from the desired media and Select Troubleshooting from the first Windows screen that comes up.
- Select Advance Options.
- There, you will see a list of different options. Select Start-up Repair.
- This process may take from few minutes to a couple of hours depending on how much repairing is needed.
- Once completed, the system will reboot. Don’t boot from the Windows media this time and let it reach the main login screen.
- You will now be able to successfully login to your user profile.
Fix # 02: Creating a new User Profile
We are going to fix User Profile Service Failed the Sign-in Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 issue by creating a new user profile. But before you start following this process, make sure you are logged in from Administrator account to solve the User Profile Service Failed the Logon error.
- After logging into Administrators account, open Run box by pressing Windows + R keys.
- Type in C:\Users and press Enter.
- Enable Hidden items view by clicking on the View tab on the menu bar and checking the Hidden items option.
- You will see a hidden folder named Default which appears after you enable the above option.
- Rename this folder to Default.old. This is just to keep it as a backup.
- Now create a new folder named Default in the same directory.
- Go inside the Default folder and create the following folders.
- C:\Users\Default\Save Games
- Open command prompt by typing CMD in Start menu and selecting the first result.
- Now you have to copy the file named NTUSER.DAT from current account to the new Default account you created.
- Type the following command in CMD – xcopy<space>C:\Users\<ADMINISTRATORUSERNAME>\NTUSER.DAT<space>C:\Users\Default
- Once you see the message in CMD saying 1 File(s) copied, it means that the NTUSER.DAT was successfully copied.
- Restart your system.
- You will now be able to login to the new account you created.
This fix has worked for many people who were facing the user profile service failed the sign-in issue in Windows 8.1 or Windows 10. If you are still unable to login to your user profile and getting the “User profile cannot be loaded” error, you can follow the Microsoft guide too on How to Resolve The User Profile Service failed the logon error message.