Looking to fix issues with COM Surrogate? In this quick tutorial, we’ll give you a few different ways you can resolve this common error in just a few minutes.
If you often watch videos and pictures on your computer, you might have noticed this error that reads “COM Surrogate Has Stopped Working“.
COM Surrogate is something in your computer that generally works behind the scenes, and you don’t become aware of it until it stops doing its job. For example, Explorer uses the Com Surrogate when extracting thumbnails.
Methods to Fix COM Surrogate Has Stopped Working in Windows 10
This error is not very common but can be fixed easily. Follow the steps given below to fix this error on Windows 7/8/8.1 or 10.
Fix # 01: Removing Thumbnails
To get rid of this problem, you can disable the thumbnails. However this method will work temporarily.
Fix # 02: Display Driver
If you have recently updated your display drivers, then you can get rid of this issue by rolling back to older display drivers. For this purpose:
- Right-click the My Computer icon on the desktop.
- Go to properties and then to device manager.
- Under the display adapters tab, select your graphics card and right-click it.
- Click on uninstall.
- If your issue has been resolved, you may now install the latest drivers from the manufacturer’s website.
Fix # 03: Check Disk Utility
- Right-click the target partition drive that is showing this issue.
- Go to properties. Select Tools.
- Under Error checking tab, click on check.
Other solutions include updating your antivirus software and restarting your computer.
Did you find that information you were looking for in this article? We hope that after following these steps, your issue has been resolved. If you still have questions, let us know in the comments section.